Lagging at regular intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I've recently reinstalled windows XP onto my computer and its has been going well for a while, but now the computer will lag about every 3 minutes nomatter what i'm doing, may it be playing a game, or typing, or listening to music, the sound and the screen will stop for a second or two, and continue as if it never happened. This is a very annoying problem, especially with listening to music. Please help me!

I had a simillar problem with my machine before. Are you by any chance running a Promise or Maxtor Ultra drive controller card? If so, in device manager, under SCSI and RAID controllers, open the entry for the card and in the properties tab uncheck the box that says "Pass Windows flush-drive-cache commands to disk drives".

sorry I went to the device manager but could not find anything that said drive controller card, but I'm pretty sure its neither of the ones you talked about. Please tell me how to find which button is the "drive controller" button. But I did see that a RAID controller and a USB controller and a USB device under the "other device" thing had a yellow question mark next to it. Is that normal?

That yellow exclamation point means that a driver is either not operating right or is missing. As far as the drive controller goes, if your drive cables plug straight into the motherboard and not into a card, then it's not what I was thinking.
~bs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back