Laggy touchpad pointer and scrolling

Satellite ls7008. I have a laggy mouse when moving it with the touch-pad only. Every 4-6 seconds it stops then goes again. This is also happening when using the arrow keys on the keyboard when scrolling in a long web page. Now I am noticing input lag while typing. It does not do this when using a USB mouse(the mouse lag only). I have tried to restore, uninstall drivers, install new drivers(synoptics and Toshiba ones) and it still does it. I tried with and without a battery. I Turned off virus protection. Nothing has changed the input lag yet. Wondering if I need to reinstall windows 7 64bit as this really annoys me.

Hi . Have, or do you do any maintainence to Windows? With a problem like this, I would do some work on the registry, I use the Freeware program called 'Winmend registry defrag 1.3.4'. You can download it from www.winmend.com. It is a 'light' program, and unlikely to do harm (as some can). Do a backup of your current registry as a safety precaution, before the scan. Also try 'CCleaner', as a general scan of your system to clear up any further 'problems'. I use these programs often, along with 'Auslogics Disc defrag 3.1.'

It's obvious that while your mouse pointer isn't moving, something else is preoccupying your processor to perform its functions, whatever those happen to be. There are normally from 5 to 20 or 30 routines that start up with Windows, especially if you've got a lot of hardware or installed a lot of system utilities and you've never turned any of them off before. Some of them are necessary for the proper functioning of hardware, such as your touch pad and printer, while others are simply checking for updates or assessing background activity so they can pop up messages or start 'helper' applications.You need to determine what 'background routine' is interfering with these normal background routines, and turn it off or uninstall the associated application (probably something you recently installed). Less often a driver has become corrupted and is causing the behavior. Although there is a 'sysconfig' utility built into Windows that will allow you to assess and turn off and on the background routines that start up with Windows, I recommend one of several free utilities that give you much more information and control. They are 'Anvir Task Manager', 'Autoruns' or 'Process Explorer'. Get them at Softpedia.com.
Basically you can shut down processes running in the background one at a time, or turn them all off and then back on one at a time, until you find the offending routine. If it appears to be a regular system utility or driver, then reinstalling it should eliminate the issue. If it is spyware or a new routine that is conflicting with another routine, you can disable it until you can figure out when and how you got it, then uninstall it or the conflicting utility. All of these system analysis utilities allow you to easily research further online (using a context menu option) as you try to determine what should and shouldn't be running in the background.

Back