LAN connection issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi to all.I have a big problem on my lan connection. I have a desktop and a laptop that they are connected to a router. I want to play a lan game but when i go to the network of the game, the desktop can see the laptop but the laptop cant see the desktop.Now before you tell me about the obvious things let me short it out.
1.All firewalls all offline
2 I have eset antivirus but even when i close them its the same thing.
3 The laptop can ping the desktop but the desktop cant ping the laptop. I used the winsock.exe on my laptop and it was possible to ping the laptop from the desktop but after some time it fails. Even when i could ping both computers the problem remained
4 when i create a game on laptop and i try to join from desktop it says connection timed out.
5 i can chat from the laptop on the network game waiting room and it was possible to see from desktops waiting room but not vise-versa.
6 i have tried direct connection with ethernet cable but the same result.
Honestly i dont know what else to try.
Any ideas?
Tnx in advance

get file sharing working in both directions first

the game should then work too

HOWEVER, please cite the OS versions running on each system -- one sounds like vista or win/7

Tnx for the reply.I believe that i have file sharing open but i will give it a second look.About windows.On both computers i have windows xp proffesional.
BUT on my laptop because i had to do a format and i didnt have the sata drivers i got a copy of xp that concluded the sata drivers but it was a little "fixed" version.Like the games were deleted and some stuffs added.
SECOND BUT i had an untouched copy of windows xp and tried to repair if there was anything to repair and it was all good and clean.But still not working lan...

Ok, focus on sharing to get the basics right. Disabling a firewall does not mean that
everything is wide open. (btw; which FW are you using?)

on the windows fw, enable, then click Exceptions Tab and allow Print/File Sharing.

Pinging a system is also different than accessing a port (ping is a protocol, not a port).

On both systems (from an Admin login)
open My Documents
Tools menu->Folder Options->View Tab
scroll to bottom of Advanced Settings and [x] Use Simple file sharing
click ok

To share a folder, right click on it to get the properties
on XP/Pro you will have the Sharing Tab; XP/home we need a different approach​

Right click on My Computer and make sure both systems are using the same Workgroup Name

Im using window FW.Just to be clear.Im not having problem on file sharing.I just cant see other computers from my laptop lan games.All those steps that you mention i have already done them with no sucess at all

LAN party games you setup in your own home right? Or you're using online role play games. If your doing LAN - multi-player games then you need to setup the desktop as the game server, give it a name or use the computer name as reference. Then setup password for it too.

(desktop) Server
game software installed
IP address
computer name
password
game software running an active

(laptop) client
game software installed
game software as to be running and active
this should see the (desktop) server
by IP and computer name. Should be able to enter in the password to connect to the server

I use Windows OS FW instead of third party.

I had setup 4 wireless laptops the server desktop and two other desktops and let everyone join into the game. You can even use the server desktop to play in a LAN game.

im using strategy lan games.So in order to enter a game you must see the server game that its created. And no i cant enter an ip in order to connect to a lan game.The ip is only for online games

So you're playing LAN game on your intranet and not on your internet.
So you are looking at the computer name and not at the IP address.
Has this ever worked if so what has changed prior?
So which game is this and what type of desktop are you running.
Desktop and Laptop NIC onboard or PCI or PCI-E or USB (wired or wireless)
Which OS on the desktop and Laptop.
Have you port forward or created any Virtual Ports in the Router

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back