LAN connection

By Toodles2003
Jul 30, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am not computer literate so bear with me. My daughter recently got a laptop - we have a Linksys Wireless G broadband router. All of a sudden, she can't get online and the Windows XP balloon comes up at the bottom of her screen and says LAN - network cable unplugged. This was all set up by a "professional" so I know it was done correctly and it has worked fine for about a month. My daughter says she hasn't bothered any of the cables on our home computer. I am at a loss and on the brink of losing it - 14 year old girl, no internet connect??!! Please help.
  2. mattyboy

mattyboy Newcomer, in training

first of all how is she connecting to the network, via a usb wireless connecter, a pcmcia card or is it built into the laptop?!?
  3. Austin44

Austin44 Newcomer, in training Posts: 78

usally that balloon means that either the router has been unplugged from the modem (dsl or cable box) or it has been unplugged from its power. Check both
  4. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,646

Laptops usually have a wireless connection and a( hardline connection Ethernet card)
    If you are connecting to a wireless hub then go to the Newtwork connections and disable the Ethernet card that will stop the message for the lack of a cable.
    Then on the wireless connection > click on properties > and confirm configuration there.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.