LAN help

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, i have 3 computers, 2 windows xp desktop and 1 windows xp laptop, i would like to get LAN for them but i have no clue where to start, i saw i needed a router but i dont know what else it needs, please help

brianbrian said:
ok, i have 3 computers, 2 windows xp desktop and 1 windows xp laptop, i would like to get LAN for them but i have no clue where to start, i saw i needed a router but i dont know what else it needs, please help

Hi Brian

If your aim is to connect them just for file sharing then you need a Hub not a router, you only need a router if you plan on having an internet connection.

Microsoft has a good guide here,

Its a simple case of plugging the PC's into the hub using a straight through RJ45 cable then following the guide above.

If however you want to share the internet then you need a router, these are sometimes a little tricky to set up correctly and not something I would expect a novice to do, however some routers do have a nice little setup routine that does it all for you, I think it was a Linksys that had that, where as my Belkin was a little bit of a pain to set up.

However once again Microsoft has a good guide here.

Regards

router will be faster connection
most routers are firewalled
so if your bud has a bug on his / hers machine it have hard time getting to other machines

I choice router
don't play games don't know if your game needs a wan connection
but still need a hub got a new one free just pay shipping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back