Lan

Status
Not open for further replies.

bneumohr

Hello, i didn't know if i should have posted this in the Hard ware of OS section, so i posted it here :)

Anywho, can someone direct me to setting up a LAN, specifically for a LAN party?

I need to know how to do it all, i really have no idea how to do it.

Thanks in advanced.

which OS do you use?

There are many different ways of setting up a lan.

will all the computers be running base 10 ethernet? will some of them or all of them be wireless?

im not an expert on this yet (starting a Cisco networking course now) but ive always thought if you just wanted a basic lan then you could just use a hub. Am i wrong? or just stupid :p

Yep,

A Hub (Prolly Switch nowadays, they're just as cheap for a cheap 5-port job)

CAT5 cables, Ethernet (LAN) Cards or Network cards to some people..

Windows (Preferably) on all machines for better compat (Games wise)

Connect a cable to each machine then the PC's (obviously)

could do with knowing what windows you intend to run, but I'd recommend you use Static IP's for all the machines, its easier when gaming and hosting.

re:

I will be useing Windows XP on all 7-10 comps.

1 comp will be wireless and 6-9 comps will use cat5.

I will be useing 1 router and 1 hub. Cable goes into the router (4-port) which then is spread to 1 wireless comp, 2 cat 5 comps, and then into the hub. The hubwill then feed into 4+ cat5 comps. (depending on how many ports the hub i am gonna get will have.)

The main thing i need to kniw is if i need to set any settings within Windows inorder for Windows to read the LAN. Or will i be able to play right after i hook up all the wires.

sdf

the LAN party hasn't happened yet. It is 'spose to happen this weekend, but it has gotten delayed for next month due to there not being anyones house where we can set up....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back