TechSpot

Laptop Battery Doesn't Charge if Laptop is off

By bakertime361
Feb 5, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've got a Sony Vaio PCG-GRT250P laptop that I just recently got a new battery for. The old battery had reached the end of its life, only lasting for about 30-45 minutes if I was lucky.

Anyway, I got a new battery, but it was not the original Sony battery, it was a comparable one of a different brand for less then half of the price of the Sony. When charged, it lasts a good 2 hours no problem, but doesn't seem to charge when the laptop is off. Yesterday I turned it on, it said it had 5% remainng, I charged it for about 10 minutes and then it read 94%. Upon unplugging it, it again read 5%, but with another 10 minutes plugged it, it went up to 94% and stayed there when unplugged. I should also note that I've reformatted the computer, so it only has Sony drivers that the device manager said I lacked.

Was the lower priced battery too good to be true, or is there an easy fix to this problem?

Appreciate the help in advance,
    Zach
  2. KingCody

KingCody TS Guru Posts: 1,568   +7

a bios update is often needed when using a different battery than what the laptop was designed to use, and since you bought a generic battery, i highly doubt that Sony will provide support of any kind for it.

Check Ebay for actual Sony brand batteries (not another generic), you can get them on Ebay for 1/2 (or less) the price that you would pay in a store or from Sony
  3. rikkigrysko

rikkigrysko TS Rookie

i had a problem w/ dell about this. i got a battery on ebay but it didn't come w/ bios upgrade. i had to talk to their cust service until they finally agreed w/ me there was supposed to be a cd. once i got the bios it worked
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.