Laptop Battery Draining when turned OFF?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

1bellb

Hi, Last week I tried turning my laptop on and it wouldnt turn on, so I got my charger and turned it on that way, then I realized the battery was on 1% when the laptop turned on. So I let it charge to 100% and When I turned it off I noticed some of the power lights were not turning off (Which is maybe why the battery is draining) so I pulled the battery out of the laptop and everything has been fine till now. Iv just tried truing it on again but Im having the same issue again and again.
Everytime I leave it OFF overnight the battery is dead the next day (And the power lights go off now, so its not that causing the problem this time) Does anyone know what can cause this problem?
Thanks

My laptop is a Sony Vaio VGN-AR61M

How old is the laptop? Judging by the model #, it isn't too old, but depending, the battery will lose power when stored. Also, is the computer off, or in standby? Standby will also used minimal power when PC is off.

The Laptop is just over a year old, (Out Of Warranty) and I always put the Laptop on Hibernate which is like standby but without losing power and even if it was on standby, the laptop battery is running out, not running low, So I dont think its that, but I will try Shutting Down properly for a week and see how it goes

It just seems odd that a battery would only last a year???
Mine is over 4 years old now, I always use it under power but also cycle the battery occasionally, when I plug it in the following morning, even after the weekend, it's 100%.

strategic, a laptop battery is considered a "consumable" just like printer ink and printer paper. Laptop lead-acid or lithium batteries have to be charged properly in the very beginning of use, in order to have the maximum life. I don't think any laptop battery is guaranteed to last more than a year

I know I have had 3 different laptops, each of which had their battery shoot craps after 1 year. One didn't even make it 9 months :( Thankfully I found a replacement for dirt cheap, so I wasn't out too much cash. And that replacement has lasted 2 years with no issues. VERY STRANGE the variability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back