laptop battery life

By basics
Jun 18, 2005
  1. I'm new to the boards. Apologies if this is a tired topic, but I would appreciate feedback. I'm about to buy my first laptop, and am finding out that the one I'm trying out, a low-priced model (Toshiba Satelite M30X/M35X Series), lasts only about an hour and a half before needing to be recharged (if playing a dvd, it lasts only about an hour). Somehow I had guessed that batteries lasted longer in laptops. Am I nuts?
    Two questions:

1. What is the normal life for a laptop battery?

2. And if I want to stay in the relatively low-price arena, what are the best laptops to consider in terms of battery life?

2. IronDuke

IronDuke TS Rookie Posts: 856

1. I'd say between 45 minutes and 3+ hours. My Thinkpad lasts on average 2 1/2 - 3 hours doing office work.

2. Depends if you think Thinkpad is in the relatively low-price arena.
  3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

laptop battery life varies considerably.
    Factors include, # of components inside laptop, load on computer, brightness of screen, size and output of battery, age of battery, and condition of battery.
  4. YellowC4S

YellowC4S TS Rookie Posts: 107

I get about an Hour and 15 minutes or so on a Sager 9860 notebook with:
    P4 3.6
    2gb DDR2 ram
    Nvidia 6800 GO PCi-E graphics w/256mb DDR3 ram
    2x80gb hdds SATA RAID striped
    DVD/CDRW Drive
    DL DVD/R Drive
    Built in TV tuner
    Built in Wireless
    Creative Labs Audigy 2ZS PCMCIA soundcard
    Sasem USB2.0 HDTV Tuner
  5. Tedster

that's not great, but it's not terrible either considering all the components you have.

I've seen worse.
  6. YellowC4S

YellowC4S TS Rookie Posts: 107

Yes, I guess one can surmise I didn't buy this puppy for its battery lifelll :haha:
  7. Tedster

some laptop manufactuers sell jumbo battery packs for extended usage. I know Gateway is one of them.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.