Laptop beeps after installing new HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I hope someone can help. HP couldn't...

My laptop beeps periodically after installing a new harddrive. The beep is a medium tone beep, which lasts for about 2 seconds. I can't find a pattern; it beeps at odd times. It will beep about once every 4-6 hours while I'm using it. Sometimes I'll be in the middle of something and it'll beep, sometimes the computer will be idle, with the screen blank, and it'll beep. It seems totally random.

The Bios is a Phoenix Bios, system board ID 308F, Bios version F.22.

I checked the beep codes on the Phoenix website, but those all appear to be POST codes, not codes for beeping while the computer is running. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Not only is the beeping annoying me, but it annoys my classmates.

Thanks!

Go to the hard drive manufacturer's web site to download and run their version of a drive fitness test. You may learn a lot that will enable you to get a replacement. Also, look there for error beep info.

which battery

Thanks for you replies. I'll check the harddrive manufacturer's site.

Which battery do you mean? My laptop battery is charged...

Also, I've read different opinions on whether harddrives do in fact beep. Perhaps my motherboard is beeping, perhaps it's the HD. Does anyone have a conclusive opinion on whether hard drives do in fact beep?

Are you sure the new hard drive is the right one for your laptop? Who installed the new drive? How did you install the software on the new drive?

My previous harddrive failed and HP sent me a new one, which I installed myself. I have a laptop and I did not receive any software. Do laptop harddrives require software??

Any hard drive requires software to be installed to be useful... :) No, but really, did the hard drive come with the Operating System installed and did it already have all your programs and utilities installed on it, before you installed it in your laptop? Did you have to do a restore from the old drive?

So this beeping has been going on for some time? External hard drives can beep, but I've never known internals to beep. Can you or have you contacted HP about this beeping. It can very well be an indication of an error not necessairly caused by your hard drive

The only reason I can think of is that the new hard disk has different thermal characteristics and the laptop's internal checking system (S.M.A.R.T.) thinks it's overheating and beeps a warning.

Maybe, maybe not.

HP told me to update my BIOS, which I did. Didn't help. The beeping has been going on for the last 3 days, since I installed the new HD.

Is the new drive larger in capacity than the old drive was? Maybe the new drive is drawing too much power from your laptops internal +5 volts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back