Laptop Boot Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having real difficulties with Sony Vaio Laptop. When I switch on, power light shows and a whirr noise emits from the cd crive but then it just stops. Nothing is displayed on screen. Feels serious but wondered if there is any speculation as to what it may be? Any thoughts gratefully received although I appreciate that information is sketchy

Thanks

Anthony

How old is the laptop? If it's not under waranty, you could open it up and make sure everything is firmly attached. Worked on one of those laptops last week, the HD cable was loose. Open it up, check for any cables that appear to be slanted, etc. and disconnect them.

P.S. Be careful with the connectors. There should be ribbon cable with 2 plastic tabs beside it. Lift the tabs before you try to remove the cable.

There are several things to consider here-

1. The video could be dead, and you're just not hearing anything. Take the laptop to a computer monitor, then use the function key and the key with the monitor symbol on it. See if you can function the display to the monitor.

2. The motherboard and/or cpu could be dead. Do you see HDD led's on the Vaio to indicate any sort of activity? If the led's are there and not doing anything, that's not a good sign. And those parts suck to replace, they're expensive, and frequently hard to order yourself, the manufacturers keep those parts for their lacky techs to order under a login website yadda yadda.

3. If your laptop is under warranty OPENING IT YOURSELF, IN ANY WAY, WILL INVALIDATE THAT WARRANTY!

4. Try removing your battery, hooking the Vaio straight to the power outlet. Try booting now. Most laptops won't act stupid after a battery goes bad, but hey, it's worth a try.

5. Can you verify the laptop has ever worked? If not, I'd take it back to where you got it. If so.. can you describe a little more of the details around the "death" of the laptop? Operating System and hardware details, model numbers, etc. would be helpful.

btw- Welcome to Techspot! :wave:

Laptop is just over two years old so a positive dinosaur as such no warranty to be worried about.
Have taken apart and checked connections but no joy.
I can confirm that that the only LED lights showing action is the "power" led, the HDD led shows no signs of life at all.

I am beginning to think that it could be an "Ex" laptop :hotouch:

Thanks for your suggestions though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back