Laptop cannot boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gradient

Apologies if this is in the wrong part of the forum.

My Amilo A 1630c cannot boot - it freezes completely before the monitor has even turned on. No buttons work, not the keyboard, mouse or the wireless button. The fans are all working, and I have tried running it with the battery removed, as some people have suggested - what else can I do? And is there any way to retrieve the data on my HDD? Can a laptop HDD be set as a secondary drive (a slave device) on an ordinary PC to achieve this?

Specs:
Athlon 64 3200+
512Mb RAM
128Mb ATI Radeon 9700 gfx

Thanks,
Phil

PS. I should probably mention that I recently had the laptop sent to Fujitsu-Siemens to have the speakers repaired (faulty hardware). Since then, the LAN adaptor began randomly supplying the error message 'device cannot start (code 10)' (which I appear to have fixed by disabling the option to allow Windows to turn it off), and I encountered a fault after reinstalling Half Life 2 that prevented the game from running at all - both these faults were non existent before the laptop was sent for repair. My current problem (not being able to boot) occured after uninstalling Half Life 2 and restarting Windows, but I had uninstalled it previously with no ill effects, so I doubt that is at fault.

well if you are not getting anything on the screen at all during turning the system on before post then there is a big prblem there man...first off are there any lights on the laptop like an A 9 or a down arrow and the hard drive activity light is it flashing..are any of the lights doing anything??

do this man remove all disk drives and the hdd and hook the system to the acdc power brick tell me if you get picture or the system boots..if it does then continue to install each device back in one at a time till you come to the one that is causing the issue..you might get lucky and it will be just a simple reseat components issue and you are on your way...

All lights work as normal. If the 'processor working' light (or whatever it's called) is on when the system locks up, then it stays on. Nothing happen when i try to use caps lock, num lock, or scroll lock, and the light indicating the wireless device is on doesn't light up when pressed either.

Edit: awesome idea, but I'll have to wait until tomorrow until I try it (I'm in the UK).

ok the num lock is a very good and acurate indicater that you are haing a hardware lockup.. so follow the last thread and let me know.. i will look up the led codes and see what i can find for you..do you have the manual that came with the system if so see i you can find a section that covers Troubleshooting and or led light codes in it..i will continue looking though.

also if you have no picture remember to use a external CRT monitor or lcd monitor to see if you get picture and if you do then you know that it is video..try that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back