Laptop can't reboot...Windows did not start successfully

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I am new to TechSpot and would appreciate any help.....my computer shut down and rebooted on to the same message. The message was as follows:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows
Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked) Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.

Seconds until Windows starts: 30

After I make a choice windows proceeds to only a blue flash of a screen and the it reboots over and over to the above message screen. I have an HP Pavilion dv5000. Please let me know if anyone has a fix....thanks to all!

This could indicate a failed hard drive... Are you able to troubleshoot this? If not, take it into a repair shop

That same screen keeps coming up....do you know how I can get into safe mode......then I could try to get it to go to a prior config. When I click on anything on the screen that comes up, it just reboots to the same screen......I am trying to avoid the repair shop....never had a good experience with any of them.....unfortunately.

CCT's link will only fix Operating System software issues. If this guide's instructions fail you have a hardware failure. Unless you can change a hard drive or install new memory, you will have to take the system to someone that can...

Thanks!.....I think I can get hold of our XP disk (it's somewhere), and will try to get it booted to do the repair....hope it works so I don't have to sent it out.....Will I lose any data on the drive??

If the repair procedure outlined is followed and it completes successfully, you won't lose any data. If it fails in any way, chances are very good that you will lose your data!

if you can get windows to start again and works go to hp's website and go to the support section and search for an auto scan of your pc, it will scan hardware and drivers etc. i had the same problem on my pavilion xf235 and i did the hp scan and it found out my hard drive was damaged.

yes i replaced the hard drive,and i reinstalled from the restore discs and my laptop runs great now.tiger direct has great deals on laptop hard drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back