May 5, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello all,

i recently got hold of a laptop free its a viglen 2700T laptop specs

Pentium III 1ghz
    128mb RAM
    Win 98SE

Basically the cd drive did not work, it would be detected in bios and would show in windows under my computer but if you double click on the drive it would display the message Cd drive is not accesble please try again. I tried booting with a XP Pro cd and it did not rekonise the cd.

I have bought a new cd drive and got PC WORLD (uk main pc store) to fit it. This cost £30 and i have just got back to test it and its not working (same problem). I forgot to take my power lead to PC WORLD so they could not test it themselves... i agreed to let them do the work without testing (i kno my bad)

My question is does anyone know what is wrong with it? I now know how to fit these myself so if it involves going into the laptop i will not hesitate.

Please please please help me i need this to install format the hdd as its in such a mess.

Thanks alot in advance
    Moka
  2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

If a new drive still will not work with all the correct connections, then you have a motherboard issue - plain and simple. You will then need to replace the motherboard. This may not make economic sense to spend this amount of money.... consider it carefully.
  3. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,576   +76

CD-ROMs drives do go bad, but you say you got a replacement drive unit?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.