Laptop Connectivity Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am laptop ignorant. I personally prefer a desktop, but my wife desperately desired a laptop.

This expensive pain has a RJ-45 connection on the side. Under the network connections, within the LAN or Highspeed Connections, are an Ethernet Controller, Bluetooth Network and a Wireless Network Controller.

She used to have a dekstop too, so there was obviously an internal modem and a wall splitter.

We normally connect using Broadband DSL with a user name and password into the ISP. Stupid me thought this would work with the Ethernet card as an internal modem - not!

Where in the world should I go from here? Should I get an external modem? A wireless router? What?

I'm sincerely looking for advise.

A wireless router would be your best option, if she wants to be able to use her laptop wirelessly, but she can also use it wired as the laptop has a LAN port.
You could hook the desktop up as a permanant wired connection, so if wireless fails, you have access to the router config.

Okay. Thanks for the response. Her old desktop is gone. So, all I need to get is a wireless router?

In essence: laptop --> wireless router --> DSL splitter.

No modem?

Most routers can function as a modem as well. Im not sure what you mean about DSL splitter. If you mean those things to split the line between broadband and telephone, then that is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back