TechSpot

Laptop crashing

By xpcomputersad
Feb 23, 2008
  1. i have advertec laptop computer. the computer will boot up log on and stay logged on for a few seconds then it just shuts off and won't tunr back on. The computers fan dose not even sound like it's running. it heats up in like 5.4 seconds? is there a fix for this?

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

"is there a fix for this?"

Yes, buy a new laptop :) Seriously, try removing the battery and use only the AC adapter

3. xpcomputersad

xpcomputersad TS Rookie Topic Starter

yea.

is there a way to send it to a shop and let them try to fix it? it's perfectly fine if it did not over heat so quickly

4. NFSFAN

NFSFAN TS Rookie Posts: 245

Yes, open up the laptop, and check if the heatsink is settled properly on the cpu core. What model laptop is this?

5. xpcomputersad

xpcomputersad TS Rookie Topic Starter

umm..

i have opened up the laptop i have been running it with the back panel off back when it ran becuse it kept it cooler. i cleaned the fan once. are u talking about the orange colorded bar it gets way hot like realy fast.lol i am not a computer tech. i know the basics. I think it's a advertech 6200

6. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Running the laptop disassembled can leave it vulnerable to static damage. Anyway, to properly do what NSFAN suggests, you would have to disassemble the heatsink from the CPU, clean off and reapply any thermal paste on the heatsink assembly

7. NFSFAN

NFSFAN TS Rookie Posts: 245

Yeah, you do have to reapply the thermal paste. My suggestion is as I said...Take the cooler off and of course clean off the old thermal paste. Reapply some new thermal paste such as Arctic Silver 5 or Arctic Cooling MX-2 and then power it on.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.