Laptop Dead ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herbster63

HI ALL
JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE HAD ANY IDEAS ON MY HP NX6120 WAS WORKING FINE, TURNED IT OFF TURNED IT BACK ON TODAY AND ALL IT DOES IS KEEP REBOOTING, DOSN,T EVEN GET TO POST BASICALLY IT REALIZES ITS TURNING ON AND SHUTS DOWN AND STARTS AGAIN.
DID HAVE 512 EXTRA RAM IN IT ,HAVE TAKEN THAT OUT STILL SAME AND ALSO RESEATED H/DRIVE ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT
CHEERS HERB:confused:
I FEAR THE WORST:eek:

DID HAVE 512 EXTRA RAM IN IT ,HAVE TAKEN THAT OUT STILL SAME
Did the problem appear the moment after you installed the new 512MB of RAM?

I know you've taken it out since and still have the same problem, but it would be useful to know if this could have possibly been the origin.

If memory was the cause - with desktops - it is not uncommon to reset the CMOS afterwards to get things up and running again. Resetting the CMOS on a laptop is often not necessary and is typically very difficult to do... But this may be worth the effort if nothing else works. Instructions on how to remove the RTC battery are here (Section 5-35): http://static.tigerdirect.com/pdf/HPCompaq_nx6110nc6110nx6120nc6120_MSGuide.pdf

Also, are there any lights on your laptop? Often times, there are diagnostic LEDs that appear in certain combinations and certain colors. Can you describe any lights or sounds that appear in more detail when you both have your laptop plugged in and when you try to turn it on? This may give us clues as to what is happening. A very good troubleshooting section is in the service guide as well (Section 2-5) http://static.tigerdirect.com/pdf/HPCompaq_nx6110nc6110nx6120nc6120_MSGuide.pdf

No Ran Fine With The Ram For Week Or So Then Just Died.
Have No Beeps On Start Up, Lights Start From Left Front And Go In Sequence To The F Key Light Then It Shuts Down And Repeats The Process. Thanks For Your Time And Effort Will Check The Links You Provided Cheers .
Ps.sorry For All The Caps Just Type, If Its On Its On Lol

Thanks for the post Raybay will try Ricks suggestion with the cmos reset first as i dont have another hard drive to test but if that dont work will chase up drive from somewhere and give that a go
thanks once again for you time and effort
Herbster

Thanks For your help tried the cmos and no change there also tried the h/drive also no go , had a talk to a tech in town he seems to think the mobo is gone so one for parts by the look of it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back