TechSpot

Laptop died, removed HD but can not see it when connecting

By Jecoul
Oct 13, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hi Guys

I am seriously hoping you can help. My Windows laptop died the other day and would not open again I get a message saying either " Operating system failure " or " No operating system found "

I have alot of files that I need for work on the HD not to mention photos of my kids growing up and so on. So I removed the HD and bought a HD Enclosure. In the meantime I have also bought a MacBook ( been looking to do this for a while and now had my hand kind of forced ).

So I have plugged it the HD into the Macbook and it doesn't show up at all. I have looked in all the places that you should see it but nothing. I did have one instance when it came up as a shared network and asked me to sign in when I opened it. However once I signed in it came up saying it was unavailable at this time.

I have tried plugging it into my wife's laptop but it is a work laptop and has some restrictions on it so no joy there either.

Any help would be hugely appreciated as I need these files asap.

Thanks in advance.

2. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 5,312   +238

3. watalee

watalee TS Rookie Posts: 16

You should plug it into a pc with windows installed and check the disc, maybe the macos is not compatible with your disk format.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.