TechSpot

Laptop hangs - tapping works, but I'm going crazy

By Cricket96
Feb 10, 2005
  1. I have a 2.5 year old Compaq Presario 900. Recently it takes forever to startup because it hangs midway. Then I would have restart it again and again and again. When it does reach to the main screen, it'll hang again, but when I tap the front hard enough, it'll unfreeze. Sometimes it'll stay ok, but most of the time it freezes after it unfreezes.

Please help. Does anyone know what's wrong with it? Thanks.

2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

When did you last do a defrag and a chkdsk/scandisk on it?
    Is there any space left on the HD? Minimum 15% free

3. Cricket96

Cricket96 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Haven't defragged in awhile, but I don't think that's the case since I have to tap it to get it to unfreeze. I'm sure something loose in there. :-\

4. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

In that case, get the old screwdriver out, and check especially any disk, keyboard and monitor connections if you can. Also, don't forget to check the battery-connections.

5. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,495

Wow

I would agree with realblackstuff. But i just felt like i had to give you credit for hitting youre computer. I do it all the time when working on them at school and i think it works alot more then you think! They should make a certifcation for it.

Sean

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.