Laptop Hardrive Form Factors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBN

Hi there,

Most if not all notebook hard drives are listed as having a 2.5" form factor. However some have dimensions of;

7cm x 10cm x 9.5mm and other are 7cm x 10cm x 1cm

Does it make a difference?

Well, there is the size difference. If it doesn't fit, then it doesn't fit :)

Obviously you can't put a thicker drive into a bay designed for something thin. And a thinner drive may not always go into the space meant for a thicker one.

Will all 2.5" form factor, 7cm x 10cm x 9.5mm hard drives, fit in all 15.4" Widescreen Notebooks?

No, most certainly not "all". Wouldn't we have to have seen all said laptops to be sure? :p

9.5mm is the most common format at the moment, but you should really look at the specs of the laptop(s) in question.

do search at manufacter web site for the drive tray of model you use
it is this tray that will hold the drive and most should be mountable for any 2.5 form.
I have seen some stange toshiba's that will only hold a toshiba drive

The laptop currently has a 40GB Hitachi Travelstar Hard drive. Its model number is : HTS541040G9SA00. From googling around it seems like the Height is 9.5mm.

In which case I am going to go ahead and buy a hard drive with a 9.5mm height for it.

I'm glad I took some time out and looked into it. They dont even advertise the heights of laptop hard drives clearly sometimes not all even.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back