TechSpot

Laptop HD to Desktop

By MISHA8725
May 10, 2007
  1. I have several laptop hard drives that I need to see the contents of. I'm finding plenty of these little adapter things that you can put directly into a computer's hardware. But I'm looking for something a little more along the lines of a media card reader (USB if possible?) only for laptop hard drives. They have external hard drives with USB connections for 3.5 hard drives, why can't someone make the same thing for laptop hard drives? If someone has knowledge on this type of situation replies are welcome. Thanks!

2. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

All I really have seen is either

a) a device that lets you mount a 2.5" HDD into a 3.5" bay, or

b) a device that encases a 2.5" HDD, and is accessible then via 1 or 2 USB cables. These are just called 2.5" HDD USB caddies, they are usually USB2 these days. Here is an example - http://www.kenable.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1125 - was this what you meant??

3. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

They make plenty of the 2.5" versions too.

4. CraigMc

CraigMc TS Rookie Posts: 50

You can also get IDE to USB converter cables that work without having to faff around with drive caddies. You just plug your HDD into it, turn it on then plug in the USB cable. These come with connectors for both 3.5" and 2.5" for multy purpose fun, the new versions I have seen also have SATA conencters, what more can a guy ask for :D

Linkage for reference: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48965&criteria=SATA to USB&doy=11m5

5. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Mind you, having a hard drive with exposed contacts and wires dangling around is just asking for trouble..

6. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 957   +49

Yeah. I was going to get one of those open USB kits that allow both the Desktop ATA connector as well as the laptop ATA connector, but I realized it probably is safer just to get an enclosure, especially if you plan on switching the drives around a lot. Not easier mind you, but safer, and especially with computer hardware, better safe than sorry. =)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.