Laptop HD's and Converters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone
Am kinda new here and I was seeking some answers to some question I have about Laptops and HD's.
1. Why are laptops restricted to speeds below 7200 rpm in HD's ?
( I heard Seagate now has a 7200rpm HD out, not sure )
2. Foregoing the USB connection between 3.5's and useing them, is there
anyway to connect a 3.5 IDE Hd to the 2.5 connector on a laptop, either
thru the use of a cable or converter ?
3. Is there a cable such as this that exisit ?
5. I know that by going to an external USB HD setup is pratical but I was trying
to figure out why limit myself to the speed issue, if thats the case here.

I'd just like to know why laptops HD's are restricted to below 7200 and is there was such a way to use an 3.5 HD to its fullest capability.

Thanks in advance pps.

More RPM means more power consumed.

Also, Laptop hard drives are much more difficult to make since they have to survive a lot of g forces. It is much more difficult to read something from a platter going at 7200RPM while someone is shaking the computer.

@ Nodsu

Thanks for your reply on the speed restriction.

Any comments regarding my other questions.

Is there a cable or converter to connect a 3.5 HD to a laptop ?

I've seen a 2.5 to 3.5 converter with an external power connecter.

What am trying to do here is see if there is a way to connect a 3.5 HD with 100+ gigs or more and get the seek times up, I can buy an enclosure for the HD, no problem, I just dont want to go the route of a USB or Firewire connection.

Maybe am just barking up the wrong tree here, I dont know.

Thanks

Any external harddrive would need a power supply so I think your best bet would still be the USB/Firewire.

That said, there may be SCSI option, but they would be expensive. I don't know if anyone makes an external IDE PCMCIA card.

Plus, for the speed restrictions, laptop harddrives are smaller so they are more densely concentrated as far as data goes. This means the head doesn't have to travel as far so RPM is not as important.

Also there are heat, power, noise, and reliablility factors.

Phoenix56 said:
@ Nodsu

Thanks for your reply on the speed restriction.

Any comments regarding my other questions.

Is there a cable or converter to connect a 3.5 HD to a laptop ?

I've seen a 2.5 to 3.5 converter with an external power connecter.

What am trying to do here is see if there is a way to connect a 3.5 HD with 100+ gigs or more and get the seek times up, I can buy an enclosure for the HD, no problem, I just dont want to go the route of a USB or Firewire connection.

Maybe am just barking up the wrong tree here, I dont know.

Thanks

There is one here for $9 http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info.php?products_id=165

Hmmm... this might not work, I think your trying to go the other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back