Laptop is screwed. Need an answer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so here's the deal: Norton System Works Basic gave me a message saying there are 6 potential problem files. So I did some kind of scan and went bazerk deleting a bunch of stuff and likely important. Here's why - All my .exe files are now .ink. I cannot access My Computer, Control Panel or ANYTHING! I've tried downloading software to fix the .exe file but when I try to run the software it goes to Launch Application and choose program. What is goin on and how can this be fixed? I am totally screwed?

>> just what make/model is your laptop? and details of your windows version?
>> Do you have the installation CDs for your operating system?
>> At just what point do things go south? Can you boot normally? Get through windows startup? And then what? when does first problem occur (as makes a difference to know just what is possible as to approaches)

Sounds like
issue 1) is fixing your HD so your windows works again and boots/starts
issue 2) is getting access to your files for recovery/backup so if you do need to reinstall Windows to your HD you first get your personal stuff

Or do you have backups of anything?

>> just what make/model is your laptop? and details of your windows version?
>> Do you have the installation CDs for your operating system?
>> At just what point do things go south? Can you boot normally? Get through windows startup? And then what? when does first problem occur (as makes a difference to know just what is possible as to approaches)

Sounds like
issue 1) is fixing your HD so your windows works again and boots/starts
issue 2) is getting access to your files for recovery/backup so if you do need to reinstall Windows to your HD you first get your personal stuff

Or do you have backups of anything?

It's a Dell Latitude D600...no installation CD and no backups as I got it second hand with everything installed. I can boot normally and get through startup...obviously wireless works as well. Everything else can't be accessed and nothing can be installed or recovered. Therefore, doing a spyware check can't be done since the installation won't work. I tried system backup on safestart with prompt but it always fails.

Since you can't get anything to run and you don't have any boot cds, a possible approach to your problem would be to use a friend's computer to
>> Download bootable CD images you can then burn to CD
>> Then use that CD to boot up to try to fix your computer

As snowchick7669 noted, running an A/V is a good first step. What A/V do you use? As it might be good to see what they offer by way of bootable 'rescue" CDs. Or see this link. Would recommend trying. Avira. You might also try check first if you can simply do any "online" scan first as well (might work as an online scan with needing to do any program downloads)

It is worth a check, not for now, but later... go to the Dell website and register that laptop in your name, address, and phone... give it 7 to 14 business days for Dell to verify whether it has been reported stolen, then call and request a new copy of the boot disk. If they have no record of sending one out for that Service Tag number, they will mail you a new Windows Instal Disk Service Pack 2, to the newly registered address.
If they have already mailed one out sometime in the past, they will sell you one and charge you postage... but it still becomes very handy... and the cost is only $27 or so.
You will have to download the drivers from the Dell Site, as the orginal drivers are not mailed out... but if there is something else, like a special sound or video or DVD software, they will send that along.

huh, that's weird. Try running an anti virus check and a spyware check. If nothing goes, you can always back up your important data and reformat your computer to a new MS OS.

For anti virus checks: I reccomend going to the trend micro site to have a free online inspection. Currently I am using nod32 and it picks up everything bad in my pc so that is also good.

for spyware: I am using SUPERantispyware (a really suspicious name but still, it works like a charm)

i also use around 2 to 3 other spyware removal programs so try everything you could first

and if nothing works, reformat after backing up your data to an external hard drive/flash drive

On our customer machines, Trend Micro leaves stuff in the registry that are just plain difficult to remove... and we see nothing special about the Trend Micfro inspection...
Nod32 remains very good... whatever pleases you is the right one.
We like Avast and Avira Antivir, SuperAntiSpyware, MalwareBytes and Windows Defender for most folks... But if you go dangerous places, you need tools up to the task.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back