Laptop keeps rebooting on xp. Cant get to chkdsk either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. My laptop will not go into any of the windows modes, without rebooting. I disabled automatic rebooting so that i could read the error message on the blue screen. It reads
STOP: 0X00000024 (0x00190203 , 0x8A4 5A440 , 0XC0000102 , 0X00000000)
and also recommends running CHKDSK /F but i cant get to any screen where i can command it to run CHKDSK ! I have tried altering the boot order to cd-rom and inserted a recovery cd i downloaded from ultimate bootcd or something (using another laptop) but my laptop still does the same procedure and it seems to me not to boot from the cd-rom. I guess its possible the download is bad but any advice is welcome!
Can anyone tell me how to run CHKDSK..? HOW TO GET MS-DOS? how to ensure it reboots from a cd rom? etc
I HAVE no idea..im so sick of it! many thks guys...

I haven't experience such in a labtop before but ,I think this routine might help cos it possible that system disk you created was not actualy having the system and the command files. I would say try this:
1. Begin by placing a blank floppy disk into your floppy drive.

2.Double click on the My Computer icon on your Desktop until it opens.

3.Then gently click on the 3½ Floppy (A:) icon just enough until it becomes highlighted.

4.Then click on the word File, which is contained in your top tool bar area.

5.This will pull down a menu for you to now click on the word Format.

Place a check mark in the box next to Create an MS-DOS startup disk at the bottom of the screen.

6.Then click the Start button to begin creating your Startup Disk.

7.Windows will display a warning that Formatting erase all data or your disk. Click OK to continue.

8.Windows will then display a progress indicator bar denoting the status of your System Disk.

9.When the status bar reaches 100% your System Startup Disk will be complete.

10.Close the format complete window by clicking on OK at the bottom of the screen.

11.Then click on the Close button to close the Format 3½ Floppy (A:) window.

To run a chkdsk, click your start --->cmd--->run. At the dot prompt type chkdsk/f and press ENTER key. All MS DOS executable files can run here.

ALL for NAIJA

beep codes etc

hi.. no i dont get any beep codes, but im not sure what they are either. No audio beeps at least. As for putting floppy disks etc in as suggested by someone here, many thks but as i said, i dont get past boot up into windows so cant "click on start" or anything else. Thanks..

I have this same exact problem.
Still havent figured out what to do, so i went out and bought a new desktop.
Still would like to have my laptop working, or atleast get my files off of the hard drive.

Yes but that last post only works if your computer boots up.
what happens is we push the power button on the laptop, it starts to boot, goes to the windows xp loading page (or atleast my problem does) and then Blue Screen, and shutdown, repeat.

Sorry for asking these series of question:

1.How long have you being using the laptop before the problem started?

2. Did you change any component? if yes what is the componet name?

3. Did ay of your friends or family members ever use your laptop and mistakingly saw the f key command that direct to the setup area?

4. Have you check to know if a password has be entered into you setup area in the ADVANCA SETTING?

5.Do you receive any error message when it 's trying to boot?

ALL 4 NAIJA

For me,
1. 4 years
2. No
3. No
4. No
5. Only goes to blue screen and reboots after i get the message 'sorry for the inconvience, but windows was not shut down properly last time...blah blah blah, Choose one of the following": Safe mode, Safe mode with networking, last know configurations that worked, start windows normally"
all which result in Blue screen shut down and reboot. Start windows normally will bring up the Windows XP Splash page, like a mormal boot up, but just when you think its going to start up, it goes to a quick blue screen, and restarts.

Bigfellla said:
I think you will find your hard drive is stuffed. I hope you have a back up.
Of course!he's to be conscious of your important files in the HD.

Besides, he's not formatting the HDD yet just trying to see if he can boot from a removable-bootable disk.

ALL 4 NAIJA

Sorry for the delay and thanks for your replies..

I tried a windows xp disc that got me to the recovery screen but the laptop still would not boot into windows. Through all of this i had access to BIOS and re ordering boot priority to the cd-rom drive still wouldnt help, even with a recovery cd that was "capable of rebooting any computer etc etc".
Pressing F8 gave me the option of disabling automatic restart etc which meant i could see what the damn blue screen said at least..(ie the error message i mentioned at the beginning of this thread).
By the way i tried removing the hard drive and cleaning the contacts etc i could get to in the computer.
After consulting others i have bought an external enclosure and intend to remove my laptops 100 GB sata hard drive, place it in it, and connect it to another laptop or pc, and boot up to windows on that computer and hopefully, browse the files on the hard drive, pulling off the ones i want to keep. After this ill delete my hard drive , place it into my laptop again and hopefully re-install windows xp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back