Laptop keeps shutting off

GNS1310

Toshiba Satellite. I was going to make a video of what it's doing but basically it's just going dead. I'll turn it on, sometimes it dies (it doesn't 'shut down' it just 'dies') right away, sometimes it'll stay on for a few minutes before dying.
I've heard these laptops have an issue with the power button and the machine overheating and that causing it to shut off, and I've had that problem in the past.
It's shutting off constantly lately. Wondering if I have an old, bad battery or if the power cord and pack or going bad, or both? The spot where the power cord plugs in is also loose (I problem I had on my old Dell) sometimes I have to jiggle it (bad, I know) to even get the laptop some juice.

I swear I'll buy a second desktop PC before I ever buy a laptop again...no luck with them at all.

I need to do a search before I post a problem that everyone seems to be having LOL
I've taken the battery out and fired it up...we'll see what happens.

Doubt if this will work but worth a try unplug laptop take battery off hold power button in for 20 seconds then replace battery and try lets us know if still same problem

If this dont help these could be the problems 1 it could be clogged heatsink fan on the cpu (2) cpu getting to hot and switching laptop off which is more likely ..(3) 1 of the ram might not be seated propaly 4 if none of these then it will be motherboard problem

Remove the battery and let the AC power it.
If it shuts off still check the Fan see if it's full of dust?
Clean it out with a can of dust remover. (most will say to open it up and really clean out)

If you buy a multi-meter you can test the AC power supply leads to make sure it's getting the right voltage/amp.

How old is the laptop or battery or the AC powersupply. Battery and AC PSU can go bad. The internal connector PSU can also go on you. Best to get the MM as describe to see where you are at. You can also test the battery leads to see if 19V.

What you can do is get the Anker Astro Pro2 20000mAh Multi-Voltage External Battery I use this myself. Not only for laptop, can be use on tablets, smartphones anything that needs a battery.

34198.jpg

Real quick update....
I have it plugged into a different outlet in the house and it's been up and running for about an hour and a half. I could see it charging when it was plugged into the other outlet, it got a full charge..but kept dying. Weird.
I keep thinking 'it's going to shut off any second now'...
Think I might look into getting an external battery, I could use it.

If it dies with the battery, then the battery is duff (bad)
If it dies with the AC only then the AC is duff (bad)

To test the PCB/MOB/motherboard PSC would need to get another AC adapter to rule out which one of the 3x issues it could be.

1. PSU Power Supply AC
2. PCN Power Connector
3. Battery

You have to test out each one. You really need to get external power source. You can also get universal AC PSU for it also. Try that too. I try to buy a second battery larger cells and another AC adapter. I stick with ACER/GATEWAY since all their AC adapters work on all their gear no matter if it's a netbook or full laptop.

Back