TechSpot

Laptop keyboard issue

By andy06shake
Aug 19, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I recently upgraded the memory in my fathers Laptop from the original 256Mb sim to a 2Gb sim. No problem there however the Return key and the Cursor keys seem to have stopped working even in the Bios.

I have removed the battery and held the power button in for 30secs thinking a reset of the Bios would fix the problem, no luck there they still do not function.

I have removed the keys and checked that nothing has been spilled on the keyboard, no problem there ether.

I have also checked internally to see if there was any damage to the ribbon cable. Seems fine.

To be honest I cant seem to locate the issue and was hoping someone could offer some additional support. Anybody any ideas?

Specs: Esystem EI 3101 laptop, Intel Celeron M430 1.73ghz CPU, 2Gb DDR2, Internal 256mb GFX card.
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,832   +164

Did you try re-installing the 256MB memory to see if the keyboard started working again?
  3. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,658   +82

Is the new memory the same match for the prior memory chips. What the max the system can support in Memory? Volt is the same as the memory you had taken out otherwise you have issues getting the laptop started.
  4. andy06shake

andy06shake TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 326

Laptop starts fine, just cant log on to windows since the keyboard does not function.
  5. Ebs1970

Ebs1970 TS Rookie

Hi I am having trouble with my Key board as well I can use the on screen Key board but it's a Pain any chance some one can tell me why my key board is acting up it was just not working on the Letter B N and Numbers 5 6 now it is not working at all
  6. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,832   +164

Can you try using an external USB keyboard to test with?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.