Laptop memory - what type?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a terribly naive question, but how do I find what type of memory works for my laptop? I just bought a Compaq Presario V4000T and want to buy a 1G chip to add to its meager 256 memory. Going through HP, I am given a product number for the memory, but it is not available for purchase through the site. I'd rather buy it through a discount site anyways, but searching for the product number on Newegg comes up with nothing. And their customer service reps cannot offer help.

Can anyone assist? My employer has taken care of all this stuff previously, and this is my first personal laptop. Thus I suffer.

Thanks
Beth

download cpuz, go to the spd tab, and read max bandwidth box, which is the ram you need, e.g. pc2700

download?

Hey, there.

Thanks for the recommendation, but I only see game downloads on the link you sent. Is there supposed to be a program called CPUZ there?

i think those are the sponsared links for key words, this site uses a lot of advertising. also look at your original post, some of the words have sponsered links.
anyway, glad to be of help.

laptops use SODIMS - usually slower speeds. Be sure to read the FAQs regarding memory.
It would be much better to pull the 256MB and add two equal 512mb sticks.
You can go to www.crucial.com to get an idea of what your laptop uses. Their site, however, is not 100% reliable. It tells me I need PC2700 sticks for my home computer, when in fact, it uses PC3200.

Thanks. Do you agree with the CPUZ suggestion that alltheman gave? I ended up ordering RAM based on that, and hope it was right...

you should also try your laptop manual, they usually have a section describing the type of ram, hd,etc that will work for your laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back