laptop networking woes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, here is the deal... i had my entire house networked, it worked great. everything including my laptop was shared. then one day i took my laptop to school and authenticated on the University network. since then (at home) i can access the web, but not any of the network share stuff.

things i've tried:
- windows network wizzard
- made certain i'm in the proper workgroup
- windows network troubleshooter is clueless

if you guys can come up with anything, that would be great. Thanks in advanvce!

Firstly, make sure the windows firewall is off and then see if you can connect If you can, you've found your problem. For some reason, when network connections are altered on XP, I've found that the windows firewall turns itself back on.

This is probably not THE solution, but I've found it a useful last resort - (sometimes!) It may or may not help you ...

make sure you have your windows CD to hand...

uninstall all protocols and services from the network adapter/connection.
uninstall the network card
reboot
reinstall network card (if not automatically done)
reinstall the following protocols and services (requires CD... Client for MS networks, File and printer sharing for Microsoft networks, (Internet protocol TCP/IP) should already be installed)
Set up your wireless connection/run the network setup wizard.

If you authenticated do a domain , you will need to log on locally to access a workgroup..as in when you get you loggin box at start up choose the user name name and passworrd you used to loggin with for your network at home and choose the local machine name in the "log on" to box......(you may need to click options to show this box)

Hey, thanks for the quick replys..... well i tried uninstalling all of the protocols and services, then the adapter. reinstalled it all, ran the network wizzard, shut off the firewall, and still no luck.

as for the other idea, i tried logging off then back on again, but something doesn't make sense, i don't know how this will help because i can't specify which network to loggin to...? well anyway, i tried what i thought you meant, and still nothing.

I had an idea though, perhaps when i authenticated at my school, it changed some of the settings in the "local security policy"? any thoughts on than?

also, on a side note.... i'm running a "stripped" version of windows XP SP2 on this laptop..... so prehaps the thing that is causing this error is something that got "stripped" out.....

If i can't get this soon... i'm gonna reformatt. Thanks for all the help everyone and keep your thoughts coming!

Dont be so hasty to reformat... pretty drastic measure...even reinstalling all the protocols was unnessacary...look at your original problem..you logged on to a DOMAIN which needed to be authenticated to..this is where your problem lies..you need to look at which account your logging on with and possibly create a new LOCAL account ...this can then be used for logging on and joining a work group

on any other PC, find the domain name you have for your home network;
ususally it (for XP) it is MSHOME, but the other common domain is WORKGROUP.
cp->system and ion the Computer Name tab, the name and domain is shown.
Use that information the change the laptop's domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back