Laptop not turning on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carbonated

hello everyone!

My laptop has been having various problems that come and go for a few months now, but most were just small annoyances until recently...I decided to install Ubuntu on my system because I had a really bad virus infection and I liked ubuntu..everything worked fine and I experinced no problems until recently, because now my laptop wont turn on. When I press the power button I hear fans coming on and it souns like its working but the screen doesnt turn on and the fans stay on for a second, pause for 5 seconds and then continue working like im playing a graphics intensive game. I suspect it could be mobo/CPU damage since my computer has always run really hot (almost burned me once). Any advice on reviving/testing my computer? (BTW sorry about my grammar and spelling but Im in a rush)

I have no external monitor to plug it into but I might be able to find one...I have the INtel version I'd have to turn it on to figure out which CPU/Mobo exactly....

I would check to see if an external monitor works first, before suspecting the CPU or motherboard. If the external monitor works, all you might need is a display inverter. These fail much more often than a CPU or Motherboard, and they are much less expensive than a CPU or motherboard

the r3000 by intel platform has a very serious problem with the northbridge(ATI 9000IGP). the problem is with the bad cooling of the chip, in fact there's no heatsink of this chip. you can try to start the machine by pressing on the ATI9000 chip and then turn laptop on. to do this, you have to partially disassembly laptop by dismantle keyboard and top cover near LCD assembly hinges.
the heart of the problem is destroying BGA balls of the chip. this can be solved by reballing, reflowing the chip and make some heatsink on it.

Tmagic650, yes this is difficult way. but i'm sure, that the external monitor won't works too. and this is first symptom of the ATI9000 death.
if there's inverter death, then you can see image on the screen but without sublight :) and there's some LCD "blinking" during laptop startup.

Some people don't notice the "blinking" symptom of a bad inverter. I would be glad to try your solder "reflowing" suggestion. I am qualified, and I have the tools to do this. I am sure most laptop repair centers would just replace the motherboard... a very costly repair indeed ($200-$800)

Ok well it turns out I have no monitors at all...very weird i could of sword I had one but I just went to best buy they said that the reapairs would most likely cosdt 600-800$ (he suspected mobo damage gtoo) plus 35$ shipping..they said they couldnt be sure of what the problem was but some local people might be able to help so Im going to a local guy...most likely ill just get a few files off the hard drive and build or buy a new computer. Thanks for all the help guys!

Make SURE

Do one more thing before you go for the mobo. Use a flashlight right on the screen and get your face close to the screen. I almost made this mistake - I'm not saying that it won't be the mother board; just make SURE.

A person can usually change the inverter on their own, saving big bucks.

Maigrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back