Laptop often shuts down after 2-3 seconds

Julius

I am not sure where my questions belongs to, but since it is somewhat related to booting I am posting it here..

I have a Toshiba A300-231 and no battery for quite some time. I usually just close it and never shut down. Recently I have moved to a new flat. After 3~ days in the morning I found that my laptop was off (I.e. I closed it at night and found it off as if there had been a blackout) and the same thing happened after 5~ days since moving in. But both times I could easily turn it on. On the 7th~ day I found it off, tried to turn on, it started and turned off after 2-3 seconds before any logos or text appeared on the screen. That is, everything seemed to be normal for 2-3 seconds and then boom. I tried like 15 times more, looked around the laptop, checked the cable, etc and after 20~ minutes it turned on and lasted for several hours (did not shut down itself in the end).

In the next few days everything was pretty similar: a couple of times I managed to turn it on and it worked for several hours, but also there were like 50 unsuccessful tries to turn it on (after shutting down the power led sometimes was on, sometimes off. In the latter case I had to replug the cable in order to try again). By the way, I have tried several sockets and checked my charger, cable (whether they are visibly damaged).

Finally, I could not turn it on at all and brought to the service but at the end of the day they called me and said that everything works fine and they cannot see any melted/damaged elements. Was this again that lucky time when it turns on?

In any case I am going to buy a new ultrabook very soon, but I am thinking whether it is possible that this problem is related to the electricity in my new flat (which would be harmful to my ultrabook)? All the appliances works fine here, only light bulbs light a bit strange sometimes. Also, I have borrowed an old Dell (which has a battery), which works fine for already 4-5 days. It has turned off 3 times but I think this is due to the very high temperature (80C, internal), all these times I was watching HD movies.

So I am hoping to find out something new from the service but also I would love to hear your ideas.

"I usually just close it and never shut down"... This habit causes notebooks to wear out faster and it probably caused the battery to fail sooner. The AC adapter should "buffer" power issues in a building

Today I have figured out some things. It appears that at the service they tried using other chargers than mine and that is why it worked. Today it did not work with my charger. However, the interesting thing is that other laptops successfully worked using my charger!

Even though this problem remains mysterious, your answer about power issues, Tmagic650, is what I needed the most. This allows me to buy a new charger and/or new computer without any worries.

Back