Laptop only turns on when it wants to

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunnybunn5

my laptop only turns on when it wanst to. sometimes i have to try 10-15 times to get it to start up. sometimes it will start up and freeze on the "vio" screen. my cd drive also only works when it wants to. sometimes it will read the cd, sometimes it wont. could my computer be malfunctioning because of a virus? is there anything i can do to save it?

It sounds terminal - I suspect power supply problems and this can only be fixed by a service shop or Sony themselves. Not cheap - if you are in UK i can recommend someone.

when you say power supply are you referring to the battery and battery pack? do you know what would cause the freezing?

nope - there is a component on the motherboard (either hard wired or a plug in component) that manages the power supply for the laptop. It also controls the current for the battery charger according to whether it needs charging or not. Given the symptoms, this is the most likely cause. Sorry for the bad news.

I have a slightly different take here.

I think a dead battery is equally as likely to be the cause as the psu.

By dead I mean,no longer accepts charge.

There is page HERE that goes into (too much) depth on the subject.

Dead batts can prevent booting.

You may be right - although 99% of laptops will run quite happily without a battery in them. Worth a try though, hunnybunn5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back