Laptop only works on AC when battery is removed

Sounds like the battery is possibly faulty. Have you tried removing it, then locking it back into position?

yes I did this at first as It was the only way to get laptop to start.

At first I could use this method and laptop would start and then randomly stall/ PFN erros/ restart at some point later when laptop in use.
It seems lately even this didn't work which led me to remove battery altogether and it is working ok (for now!)

I would never expect a laptop to be usable with the battery removed.

The A/C adaptor is a battery charging device, not an alternative power source.

I believe you - - obviously the battery is an issue - - perhaps draining so much power in attempting to recharge the dead bat that there's nothing left for running the system.

if left with the A/C plugged in and the Bat inplace, does the bottom of the system get warm in 30-60 minutes?

if not, the Bat is not charging at all.

Try a V.O.M. meter and measure the voltage at the connectors - - must > 0v

I would never expect a laptop to be usable with the battery removed.

The A/C adaptor is a battery charging device, not an alternative power source.

I'm sorry, but I disagree with you.

Its well known that laptops will run from AC power only, and I've even read in user manuals that removing the battery is recommended when your running your laptop plugged into the mains for extended periods. This may not be true of Lithium Ion batteries, but the older generation batteries it rings true.

It might not be a sentament followed by all manufacturers of laptops, but its fairly common in my experience for them to work without a battery fitted. Every laptop I've ever owned (and thats a fair few!) have all worked from mains power with batteries removed.

interesting, as that takes FAR more power than just recharging the battery.

Not saying you're wrong - - just didn't expect that, given my background in power supplies for mobile radios.

thanks for the feedback :wave:

I'm with Leeky. I've never seen a laptop that won't work with the battery removed, and the advice he cites about removing the battery is correct as far as I know.

interesting, as that takes FAR more power than just recharging the battery.

Not saying you're wrong - - just didn't expect that, given my background in power supplies for mobile radios.

thanks for the feedback :wave:

No worries mate. :)

I understand why you'd think it, as I was of the opinion a charger charged a battery, which powered a laptop until I realised the two could work independant of each other.

I know this is an old thread, but I have a solution. I was having this same problem with an HP laptop. With the battery inserted, it acted like no AC power was connected and eventually drained the battery. With the battery dead, the unit would no longer power on since it was ignoring the AC. With the battery out, it ran fine on AC. I swapped batteries and that did not fix the problem. Then, I swapped the AC adapter and, with the battery in place, the laptop powered on and the battery charged as expected. So, the problem in my case, was definitely a faulty AC adapter.

Back