TechSpot

Laptop overheating

By abbasi
Aug 20, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Hi all,

I work on a DELL laptop. It sends out very heat air from its vents. I think probably there is some (or large amount of) dust on hardware devices inside it.
    I know that best way is to open it and clean those pieces by (say) an air compressor, but there are two points here:
    1- Do you agree that this warm air is because of the dust and I need to solve this issue by cleaning the hardware snips?
    2- I haven't opened any laptop ever, I somewhat scare (because that laptop is not mine). Do you still say me to do it? If so, what rules I should observe before, when and after opening the laptop?

Thanks.

2. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 5,310   +238

UNfortunately opening a laptop is not as easy as a desktop/tower & since I too have a similiar problem with my VAIO laptop, I'd suggest getting a can of compressed air , opening up whatever access on the bottom & spray the canned air in. OR, if you can afford it, take it to a shop.
    Once its cleaned out, you might get a clip-on fan to keep it cool.
    CSPFan-xlarge.jpg
    I've used such & it worked great. Good luck.

abbasi likes this.
  3. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TS Maniac Posts: 1,850   +184

Opening up a lap top. As posted is not all that easy. It can be done . Just takes a little time . If you are not really sure. I would send it out to have it cleaned. I have mine done once a year.

4. learninmypc

@Cobalt006 , I realize prices vary from shop to shop but roughly how much does it cost to have a shop do it?

5. mr.simonski

mr.simonski TS Rookie

I work on a Dell laptop too and I already cleaned it a while ago. It was pretty hard to open it, so if you're not familiar with repairing computers it might be better to consult a special shop for this service.

6. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TS Maniac Posts: 1,850   +184

Mine runs around $ 45 dollars

7. learninmypc

Thank you :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.