Laptop problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodsocks

I have a laptop that I am trying to figure out which originally seemed to have a faulty screen as it was not working although it would be OK with an external screen.
I have't been able to do much with it cos it keeps switching itself off after a couple of mins, when it does the charger led on the front flashes orange,
The laptop is a Toshiba 6000 with Win 98SE.
The flashing charger light seems to suggest overheating although it continues hours after I switch the machine off. Whether this model was prone to overheating I don't know. The light flashes even when the charger is not connected.
As well as the screen not working it has not recognised the sound chip or the modem when I check device manager, I did manage to load the drivers for the graphics......eventually.
I feel as tho I am going in circles right now . so any help would be welcome.

Found this:
Make sure that the laptop computer has been switched to External display mode when you connect the keylite. You will know you are in this mode because the laptop display will go blank. If you are not sure how to do this please refer to the manual for the computer. The following are some typical ways to switch video modes on a laptop. See also Laptop VGA mode switching.
HOTKEYS - The majority of laptop computers use a HOTKEY combination to switch the computer among it's supported video display modes. An "Fn" key is typical - used in combination with a function key ( F1-F10). .
SOFTWARE- Some Laptops us a piece of software to change the modes. This is usually accompanied by a re-booting of the machine. There may be a tab in the Display Properties or in the Start/Programs menu for your laptop. Some laptops require making this setting in the BIOS Setup.
AUTO-DETECT - Some laptops try to auto-detect whether there is a monitor attached to the external VGA port, and will switch to it if there is when you boot up the laptop.
here.
TOSHIBA F5 F7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back