Laptop recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

alan1983

Anyone has any recommendations on what would best laptop be in the 1100-1400$ price range?

Should i go for macbook?

And any place where i could get one that works on 220Volts electricity?

Depends on what you want to use the laptop for? Gaming, word processing, etc...? Can we assume that since you are asking if it can run on 220 volts that you live somewhere in Europe?

Yes im traveling but im gonna be ordering it from the states, preferrably online somewhere.

Ill mainly use laptop for net surfing, some music, word, powerpoint, maybe some amateur-ish design programs and stuff.

Not much for gaming.

You may want to check into the HP dv6000t line (HERE). I've got the 9000 myself and really like it. You would probably need a converter though for 220, most are setup only for US power. I would customize it to add more memory (at least 1gig and go with at least the core@duo T5600 processor).

Well I will throw my .02 cents in again. If I were you I would stay away from Toshiba's. I had terrible service out of 2 different Tosiba laptops not to mention very rude CS folks. Read up on them, my problems were from over heating and bad keyboards.

Nah Toshiba is supposed to have some of the best laptops on the markets. They have a good reputation as far as build quality goes. Of course, bad experiences happen once in a while but I have yet to see many people be pissed off about their Toshibas.

I do a lot of laptop repairs and I really like to stay away from Toshiba... Tech support sucks and parts are more expensive than they should be. I.E. Crappy laptop, expensive parts!

You could always go for an IBM Thinkpad, they are really the best, and parts are readily available everywhere.
You can pick up very good used T43 models for less than your budget, or go for a used T60, and get one with the 14" screen (since you are traveling), lighter than the 15" version, and has better battery life.
Read up on these and others here:
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2767

PS: all IBM/Lenovos (and most other brands) come with 100V-240V AC adapters, so you can use them anywhere in the world (you may need a multi-plug travel adapter)

Toshiba top end were good, I don't know about today I still have Tecra 8000 it might be old but it does wireless very good. I got a couple of SPro ones too. Those were built to last and yes they did I like Compaq P V2000 Series. Most popular even with AMD 64-bit CPU and 2GB of RAM. You can get Duo cord now and 15 to 17" widescreen bright view gives you near HD clear screen technology.

It's funny if you go to Wal-Mart, Staples, Compusa, CCity, Costco, Samsclub, they all have the same model I've mention for all types of prices. Wal-Mart would be your best bet, then Staples have some crazy deals. The clubs are also good too.

If you get a laptop look for:

1 to 2GB of RAM standard
120GB HDD
DVD+-RW DL /CD-RW Burner
Wirless LAN
Wired LAN
Bluetooth
14 to 17" Widescreen HD Bright View Screen
12 Cell Battery most come with 6 Celll you can add another battery. This way you get more that 6 hrs and plus 3 hrs.

Right now am on DELL D610 I use at work, the battery is going so much for 3hr and the Centronio CPU from Intel.. More like 2 hrs battery life..

D620 is good
also D820 is also good... Thouse are Widescreen duo core CPU from DELL...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back