Laptop refuses to turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I'm a new poster and pretty much a newbie in computers, so I'll try my best to explain my problem and want some feedbacks or solutions ><"

My problem is that my laptop, which is a Sony PCGV505EX, refuses to turn on. It's just about 3 years old. The problem occured when I brought the laptop from my home to school, when I took it out at school it didn't even turn on. The night before I put it to hibernate.

I thought it was a battery problem, so I tried plugging into AC only and taking out the battery pack but no response. The green light on the AC adapter suggests that power is going into the laptop but then it doesn't turn on any lights/fan or anything at all. My friend tried using a different AC adapter and it also would not start up. Normally when you have power into a laptop u should have a light on indicating u're charging batteries but in my case no light even shows up when I turn it on.

Unfortunately my warranty has expired so I'm not sure where I can take it to fix. I currently live in Vancouver, Canada. I know that if I bring it back to Sony they can fix it but probably cost a lot $$$.

I appreciate any advice or solutions to my problem. Thank you.

Well, something is broken :)

Do you still have charge in that battery? Maybe it is just the AC that isn't working? It is very common for the AC socket to break loose from the motherboard.

Try with only a charged battery connected and see what it does.

When you take the machine to repairs, let them first find out what is broken (will cost you $100 max) and then let them call you and say how much the repair would cost.

Sounds like the power connector on the MOBO would need to be replace, but they'll end up replacing the whole MOBO. Should take them 2 hrs of labor, find out what that would be and the part mobo part. If it close $200 bucks then consider for another $300 bucks you cold get a faster system.

Sony uses a replaceable DC input jack... Yes, the AC adapter has DC voltage out to the laptop. This DC input jack costs about $35, but it takes some skill to replace

Hello,

I also have three year old SONY PEG-V505EX laptop. I just checked the receipt and noticed it was purchased on March 16, 2004. Yesterday (it was exactly three years old), my laptop refused to turn on after I brought it home from my office. It worked just fine during the day. Today I went to Circuity and tried different AC adaptors with or without battery, it still would not start up. I know my three old battery can last around 20 minutes, but it is not completely dead. So it doen't seem to be either the AC adaptor or the battery problem. I need this laptop everyday and it's very frustrating. My laptop is apparently out of warrenty. I would really appreciate any suggestions and feedbacks. Thank you for your time.

my brother has that laptop or a similar make, same thing happened, he replaced the hard drive to fix the problem

Edit: Quote removed. If you are unable to quote relevant text, don't -- Nodsu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back