Laptop reserected itself and don't know if i can trust it

Status
Not open for further replies.
one day i turned it on and set it down. as soon as i picked it up it came it died. i then plugged in the ac and nothing so i disconnected the battery and ac waited and put it back together and nothing. geek squad tech (who i think was an *****) told me it could be a proken sotter with the ac plug. so i had them pull the infor off the hard drive, and when i got it back it worked. my roomate then mentioned that he could smell something burning when it was on. but now it seems to work just fine but i don't know how long it will last.

question is what happened? Could it have been static electricity?

it seems, that geek was right :) it can be problem with AC jack on MB(bad soldering). you can check it: pull out the main battery, connect the AC-adaptor, turn on your laptop, and slowly move in both sides the jack. if there;s bad soldering - the laptop turns off.

Still, based on a lot of experience with that model, I would order an OEM power adapter on eBay. The non-OEM power adapters generate a lot of radio interference and other noise.

If anything can go wrong, it will.
That Compaq model does not have a good history.
If it is the power adapter, the chances that additional harm will occur are a bit to high for me to count on nothing happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back