Laptop sempron to turion or amd 64?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielb

Is it possible to upgrade a sempron cpu to a turion cpu in a laptop, has anyone done this. Acer 1360

If not how about to an amd 64

Naa from what i can see only turion x2 is different socket. Those 3 are 754 pin

I also noticed the latest bios release was for 64 bit OS support and the service manual can also be used for a laptop with an amd 64 processor.

I reckon mine is 32bit now actually lol, typical

Yes, but it is not recomended. They both use socket 754 so they are compatible socket wise. The problem comes with the CPU cooler. Acer normally uses cheap aluminum coolers (there are a few exceptions) on semperons because that is adiquite for their thermal needs. Acer uses copper coolers with heatpipes on turon 64s sience they put out alot more heat. It is oftain dificult if not impossible to upgrade cpu coolers on laptops as they are spcially fitted for each model. it is also oftain very dificult to remove the CPU cooler to access the socket and replace the CPU.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ACER-TRAVELMATE...ryZ51162QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

thats its heatsink, i see reports of people upgrading thats why im looking into it0o Dont mind how hard it is, its something to do lol. Ill see how hot the cpu runs now and add the difference between the too on.

its a large laptop and fan is fairly big.

Ok If the cooler can handle it and fits your unit you should be ok. My aspire 5003 Wlmi Has a turon 64 1.8 ghz and it's cooler is about that size (the heatpipe is longer though as the cpu is closer to the center of the unit and the heatsink is on the side)

danielb said:
Is the turion the highest performance out of the 3?

Doing stress test now to test temps

The turon is the highest preformance per watt. The Athalon 64 is basically a desktop CPU and is more powerfull over all (not by much)but it will suck the batteries down quickly. The turon is a newer cpu aswell. The turon also runs cooler so it has less of a chance of overheating. I would go with the turon for these reasons.

they also make athlons that are mobile. I saw one on the shoppings channel the other day. It bears the same "Athlon 64" logo on the sticker, but below the "64" it says "mobile"

AMDIsTheBest010 said:
they also make athlons that are mobile. I saw one on the shoppings channel the other day. It bears the same "Athlon 64" logo on the sticker, but below the "64" it says "mobile"

Yah but they are still based on the Athalon 64 desktop processers and suck the juce down a lot faster than a turon but have even less of a preformance advantage. the Athalon 64 moble is considered outdated now and has been all but replaced with the Turon 64 .

Yep the wattage is alot higher than the turion. the sempron is about the same. The 2.0ghz turion is a slightly higher wattage.

32bit/64bit has nothing to do with the pin outs. A socket 754 Sempron has the same pincount as a socket 754 Athlon64 as well as the socket 754 Turion64
Someone over at the amd forum.

there are two different kinds of sempron. One 32 bit the other 64. If you just say sempron, I assumed you meant the older 32 bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back