TechSpot

laptop sempron to turion or amd 64?

By danielb
Sep 23, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Is it possible to upgrade a sempron cpu to a turion cpu in a laptop, has anyone done this. Acer 1360

If not how about to an amd 64

2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

They all use different sockets i expect and different infrastructures.

3. danielb

danielb TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 70

Naa from what i can see only turion x2 is different socket. Those 3 are 754 pin

I also noticed the latest bios release was for 64 bit OS support and the service manual can also be used for a laptop with an amd 64 processor.

4. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

no. a sempron is a 32bit chip, a amd 64 is 64. Different puinouts.

5. danielb

naa looks like sempron 2800 is 64bit

6. AMDIsTheBest010

AMDIsTheBest010 TS Rookie Posts: 546

yes, there are 64bit semprons

...AMD

7. danielb

I reckon mine is 32bit now actually lol, typical

Yes, but it is not recomended. They both use socket 754 so they are compatible socket wise. The problem comes with the CPU cooler. Acer normally uses cheap aluminum coolers (there are a few exceptions) on semperons because that is adiquite for their thermal needs. Acer uses copper coolers with heatpipes on turon 64s sience they put out alot more heat. It is oftain dificult if not impossible to upgrade cpu coolers on laptops as they are spcially fitted for each model. it is also oftain very dificult to remove the CPU cooler to access the socket and replace the CPU.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ACER-TRAVELMATE...ryZ51162QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

thats its heatsink, i see reports of people upgrading thats why im looking into it0o Dont mind how hard it is, its something to do lol. Ill see how hot the cpu runs now and add the difference between the too on.

its a large laptop and fan is fairly big.

8. dmill89

dmill89 TS Guru Posts: 737

Ok If the cooler can handle it and fits your unit you should be ok. My aspire 5003 Wlmi Has a turon 64 1.8 ghz and it's cooler is about that size (the heatpipe is longer though as the cpu is closer to the center of the unit and the heatsink is on the side)

9. danielb

Is the turion the highest performance out of the 3?

Doing stress test now to test temps

10. dmill89

The turon is the highest preformance per watt. The Athalon 64 is basically a desktop CPU and is more powerfull over all (not by much)but it will suck the batteries down quickly. The turon is a newer cpu aswell. The turon also runs cooler so it has less of a chance of overheating. I would go with the turon for these reasons.

11. danielb

ML-37 looks nice :D

12. AMDIsTheBest010

AMDIsTheBest010 TS Rookie Posts: 546

they also make athlons that are mobile. I saw one on the shoppings channel the other day. It bears the same "Athlon 64" logo on the sticker, but below the "64" it says "mobile"

13. danielb

yeah noticed them earlier.

14. dmill89

Yah but they are still based on the Athalon 64 desktop processers and suck the juce down a lot faster than a turon but have even less of a preformance advantage. the Athalon 64 moble is considered outdated now and has been all but replaced with the Turon 64 .

15. danielb

Yep the wattage is alot higher than the turion. the sempron is about the same. The 2.0ghz turion is a slightly higher wattage.

16. danielb

Someone over at the amd forum.

17. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

there are two different kinds of sempron. One 32 bit the other 64. If you just say sempron, I assumed you meant the older 32 bit.

18. danielb

It is 32bit mate mobile sempron 754pin

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.