TechSpot

Laptop shopping

By alisbin
Nov 26, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. howdy mates,
    my ancient gateway laptop is dying, i think its cancer of the hard drive thats metastasized EVERYWHERE. so i'm beginning my search for a new laptop before the old junk box is unusable.
    i'm actually not hugely particular, my current desktop will be able to handle anything i need once i upgrade my vid card so all i really use it for is documents, internet, mp3 storage, and occasional dvd watching. essentially i use it when i travel and the most advanced game i'd play on it is planescape: torment.
    basic specs i'm looking for

high as possible battery life (3+ hours doing light surfing and document editing would be the ideal minimum)
    high reliability
    integral wifi
    XP compatible, i've got a copy somewhere and i DON'T want vista yet
    fairly rugged
    80+ gig hard drive
    1 gig of ram
    not ridiculously expensive
    dvd drive
    moderate or light weight
    a 17' screen that can display 1280x1024x32 would be nice, but i'd settle for 15' 1024x768x32
    if possible i'd like something with a particularly nice keyboard, but thats not a deal breaker
  2. samjohnson

samjohnson TS Rookie Posts: 320

You could look at the Alienware laptops. You can actually get XP still on those so that would be a good choice. Sony Vaios are also some good laptops. Dell has some decent ones also. I don't have a clue what your budget is so these will give you alot of choices. I personally really like the alienware ones. Never used one but they have some good specs and that is one I plan on looking at more closely when I get a laptop.
  3. alisbin

alisbin TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 120

money wise, under 650 would be really nice, literally all i'm looking for is a travel email box with that works well, looks nice and can play music and dvds.
    also, new is not neccesary, if i can get a decent used laptop that fits my needs i'd jump at the chance.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.