Laptop slow after loading avast

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie61

Hi, I have a friend who has a laptop with Windows XP OS. After they loaded Avast on the laptop it runs very slow. Any ideas for a fix would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Charlie

Third party help is difficult because we don't usually get much information. Here are the things to consider for a slow computer:

1. Too many programs starting at boot and running in the background. Using the msconfig utility startup tab, uncheck all startups "except" the anti-virus program, firewall, touchpad if laptop, network process if on network.

2. Amount of installed RAM. Many users have too little for good performance.

3. Poor maintenance. This includes disc cleanup, error check, defrag, uninstalling all programs no longer being used.

4. Checking for spyware/adware/viruses> 1 AV program, 2 or more s/a Each should be kept updated and scanned with regularly, updating right before scans.

Most likely some or all of the above are responsible for the slow computer, not Avast as Avast is not known to cause a system slowdown..

Thanks for the information. I was wondering if the addition of Avast might be using more memory now and could be causing some of the problem. I am going to pick up the laptop and see what I can figure out about it. I thought I would get some help and advice in advance. Thank you so much for the advice.

Charlie

You're welcome Charlie. Let me know if you need more help after you get the laptop.

Thanks so much Bobbye. I will probably give you a shout when I get the laptop.

This is my first post on this site. This is sure a great site.

Thanks again!
Charlie

I think I will try to do that and maybe do a system restore back to before the lady installed it on the machine. I have Avast and it does not cause a problem. I wondered if maybe her machine was about out of memory and when she put Avast on it took up most of the remaining memory.

Thanks for the reply

nickc said:
well she definitely needs an anti virus AVG 7.5 is a good free one. u can Google it

Thanks. I have a new laptop that I should probably put this on. Haven't used it much and not at all on line yet.

Charlie

I checked out the laptop and not much luck with it. I was going to uninstall Avast and see what happened. I finally got to the list of programs and Avast is not on the list. There was a messge that came up saying that there was a problem between Avast and Norton Anti Virus. I then decided to do a restore. I finally (after about an hour) got to the restore page and then it stated restore not responding. The computer is slow doing everything. Even the clock is slow updating.

Thanks for your help
Charlie

Oh my! There's your problem- Norton and Avast! It's a big NO to have two anti-viruses! I strongly suggest you remove Norton and keep Avast. See how it's running after that.

Here's the Norton removal:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Once this is done, we'll see what is left to work with. Obviously there may be other problems. But I stated only 1 AV in my post #4. The system is going to need to be scanned well with AV program and at least 2 spyware/adware programs. It is very possible that the 2 AV programs conflicted and neither one was able to prevent infection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back