Laptop stops responding requiring a force restart

machan

So, I recently bought a Dell XPS 15z from the Dell Outlet store and after about a month of use, I started to experience a problem. This problem has only occurred while playing 2 specific games, Penumbra Overture and League of Legends. It's not something that happens every time I play these games either and sometimes it does not occur for weeks.

So here's the actual problem:
- When playing these games, a loud buzzing sound (is the best way to describe it) plays through I believe the speakers. When I have speakers plugged in it seems to play through the speakers and when I have my headset on it seems to come through the headset. The sound is like a BRRRR sound that occurs for about 1-3 seconds and then it stops.
- The screen also freezes, sometimes it freezes and sometimes it turns black.
- I can alt+tab and move my cursor but doing so just makes the screen black and I can't really interact with my desktop or anything.
- I can also ctrl+alt+delete to bring up the Windows 7 menu thing that has Lock this Computer, Switch User, etc. and I can click those but upon returning to the main screen, everything is pretty much unresponsive.
- The only way I know to recover from this problem is to force restart by holding down the power button

My Computer Specs:
Windows 7
Intel Core i7-2630QM @2.00GHz processor
6GB of RAM
Nvidia Geforce GT 540M graphics card

Let me know if you need any more information. Thanks!

I called Dell today and they said they're sending me a new motherboard and video card. I believe Windows 7 including SP1 are installed though.

Back