TechSpot

Laptop to tv?

By fimbles
May 28, 2007
  1. Hello all.

A freind of mine has a old packard bell laptop that he needs to connect to a tv. To run karaoke in his newly aquired pub! I havnt had a chance to examine his laptop yet, but by the description he has given me it has no vga out? only a 15 pin slot. ( 3 rows of five pins) in a vga size plug, usb slots, and a i.d.e.e slot?????? (this may be a mistake, the letters are scratched off.)

Ive done a little reasearch but am still confused.

What is this mystery 15 pin slot? will a usb video card and a vga to s video adaper do the trick? Is there a easier method to this?

All help will be most appreciated.

Ty in advance.

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

"3 rows of 5 pins in a VGA-size plug"? I can't think of anything else that it could be but a VGA port!

Please, examine the thing yourself. A USB "video card" would be horribly slow and unsuitable for anything but Powerpoint shows (with very little animations in them).

3. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 1,276   +153

4. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

No, probably not - this is a simple adapter cable. Some computers do support TV output directly through their VGA ports (some Dell laptops?), but this is a proprietary solution. For universal compatibility you need a real signal converter like this: http://www.trianglecables.com/cotovicovgad.html

5. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 1,276   +153

Thanks a lot nodsu.
    Your suggestions and comments have been really helpfull!

Im prety sure this laptop dosent support tv out/ vga . As the owner mentioned this.

I guess the little box gadget you posted will do the trick fine.

Ty again for the time and effort you put in to help me out here :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.