Laptop uses massive amounts of internet data

Asus E1-531 laptop data usage goes absolutely bonkers when there are no programs open and laptop rebooted. I'm talking over 250 B/sec for svchost.exe (netsvcs) as shown on the resource monitor which means a couple of hundred mb/hr download doing nothing except using up my data allowance at a rate of knots.. Then you can do nothing different, reconnect and it's fine, for a while, using 3-4000 B/sec even when using the internet, then later, off it goes again.
I've done a complete virus/malware scan, as I thought maybe my lappy was being used as a bot. This picked up a few minor problems but not cured the excessive data usage.

Which antivirus are you running, which browser and what plugins are active?

do you have MS Update configured to run automatically?

Thanks for your reply, jobeard.
Well, you seem to have got it in one. Stopped auto updates and problem disappeared. Been running a few hours and all is normal.
Thanks heaps

Gil

Which antivirus are you running, which browser and what plugins are active?

do you have MS Update configured to run automatically?

Here's what I did for my laptop:
  • login as Admin, get the command prompt and enter MSCONFIG.
  • Click the Startup Tab
  • now go thru the list looking for 'xxx update' and disable them.
Stops the repetitive, and usually non-productive stuff.
BE ADVISED: You create risk by not using auto-updates and have to take responsibility to see that updates are done periodically using manual invocations. Put a repeating appointment in your calendar software to Check For Updates at least monthly.

Back