Laptop will not bootup

there are a few things you can try without reinstalling the OS, but you will need a setup dvd so that you can use command line.

Validate and Fix the File System

This runs the check disk program to detect and attempt to repair problems on one partition. For example, to repair the C: drive:

At the prompt type chkdsk c: /r

Repair the Boot Process

Typically this is used if Windows doesn't start and you can't get to the safe mode menu. You might also replace the Master Boot Record (MBR) and boot sector if you suspect a virus infection. There are four options:

New MBR - Insert a new generic MBR without changing the partition table.

At the prompt, type: bootrec /FixMbr

New Boot Sector - Insert a new Windows 7/Vista compatible boot sector. It will automatically insert the right type of sector for the file system type (NTFS, FAT32, etc.)

At the prompt, type: bootrec /FixBoot
Rebuild BCD - Rebuild the Boot Configuration Data (BCD). The BCD controls which partition boots. This option will let you select which installations to include in the BCD.

At the prompt, type: bootrec /RebuildBcd
Find OSes - Scan the system for all OS installations that are compatible with Vista/2008 and will also show those that are currently included in the BCD.

At the prompt, type: bootrec /ScanOs

in the end type in C:/expand bootmgr temp

let me know if this doesn't work...

BOOTMGR is compressed

thanks
But i cant even get to any of those points
this is the message i am getting

BOOTMGR is compressed
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

and still nothing

Which operating system are you using? Did you ever select to compress the files on the boot drive?

If it's Vista you can try this the steps below but if you compressed the drive because you ran out of disk space you'll run into that issue again by doing this.

Boot from the Vista DVD.
Click 'Repair my Computer'
At the prompt to select your OS installation, click the button that says 'Load Drivers'. This should bring up a explorer-style drive browser.

Then just right-click on the drive you tried to compress, and deselect 'Compress this Drive', which should still be ticked on. Hit apply, and apply to subfolders/files.

Reboot.

hit the worng button while try to make space

Thanks to all maybe this info will help

I click the compressed file the problem is it dose not have a dvd or cd on the laptop I have a flash drive but need to put windows 7 recovery on to it to reboot but cant seem to find the correct file on net
so i am nearly there I Think?????:(

Back