1. Hi
    My laptop will not boot up it say BOOTMGRis compressed
    ctl+alt+del to restart

have done this and nothing
    any ideas
    :(

2. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 1,835

there are a few things you can try without reinstalling the OS, but you will need a setup dvd so that you can use command line.

let me know if this doesn't work...

3. BECKYBOOO2

BECKYBOOO2 TS Rookie Topic Starter

BOOTMGR is compressed

thanks
    But i cant even get to any of those points
    this is the message i am getting

BOOTMGR is compressed
    Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

and still nothing

4. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 854

Which operating system are you using? Did you ever select to compress the files on the boot drive?

If it's Vista you can try this the steps below but if you compressed the drive because you ran out of disk space you'll run into that issue again by doing this.

Boot from the Vista DVD.
    Click 'Repair my Computer'
    At the prompt to select your OS installation, click the button that says 'Load Drivers'. This should bring up a explorer-style drive browser.

Then just right-click on the drive you tried to compress, and deselect 'Compress this Drive', which should still be ticked on. Hit apply, and apply to subfolders/files.

Reboot.

5. BECKYBOOO2

BECKYBOOO2 TS Rookie Topic Starter

hit the worng button while try to make space

Thanks to all maybe this info will help

I click the compressed file the problem is it dose not have a dvd or cd on the laptop I have a flash drive but need to put windows 7 recovery on to it to reboot but cant seem to find the correct file on net
    so i am nearly there I Think?????:(