Laptop will not load up

Status
Not open for further replies.
i instaled quicktime on my laptop and it told me to restart my computer for it to work and now it wont load windows or the windows CD but when i took the hard drive out it will load the CD i dont no what to do. when i turn it on it shows the dell screen then goes to a black screen every time.

Restart your computer, and use F8 (strike repeatedly) after the bios completes its work & before it uses the HD for the boot. This will bring up the text screen where choices are offered. Use the cursor keys to select LKGC (last know good configuration). If this fails to succeed, repeat the restart/F8 actions. This time select safe mode.

If safe mode is needed to gain control, then it is probably easiest to roll back to the restore point immediately preceeding this problem.

How about going after some basic information from the Biios. Tell us what is being reported for the HD and specify the boot order so that the CD comes before the HD.

It always helps to know what ground you have already covered. Disconnecting the laptop HD sounds like you know the basics quite well.

If you have physically removed the HD, do you have a USB adapter for this drive? Check it out in another computer.

i have changed the boot order alot and tryed haveing the CD first it comes up the the screen saying press any button to load from the CD so i push a button and it just goes to a black screen again. not sure wat u mean by USB for the harddrive. if u mean something to contect it to another computer no i dont have one.

reinstall the drive. Boot off your XP CD. run CHKDSK on the C: drive. If it still doesn't work, boot in safe mode and restore to the last known point before you installed quicktime.

well i cant get it to load the CD it just goes to a black screen after the screen saying press any key to boot form CD so i cant get into it to do anything

metalmark, try to boot from USB-stick. it seems, that the problem is with faulty southbridge. tell the model of laptop.

metalmark said:
well i cant get it to load the CD it just goes to a black screen after the screen saying press any key to boot form CD so i cant get into it to do anything
then you have a hardware issue. I suggest taking it to the shop.

my laptop will only show
(blinking cursor) when turned on and will not let me type in anything Does anyone know what to do to fix?

Laptop is part of my home network D Link card does not light up (activate)

Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back