Laptop will not turn on (Dell Inspiron e1505)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HellRell

Hi, I am hoping you guys(or gals)can offer some help.
My laptop is not even 2 years old (Dell Inspiron e1505)
I went to turn it on, and it would not start up.
Instead, it would power on and the screen would say black.
The fan would come on the power light would come on. Also,
the number lock and scroll lock lights would blink, and the caps lock
light was solid. I could hear the hard drive thinking about starting up.
This would last about 30 seconds, and then it would power off.
I read around the internet and found a solution, which was to
"reseat the memory". I took the bottom access panel off the memory
and took the chips out of the A and B slots. I then put them back in
securely and made sure they were in. IT SEEMED to work, when i turned
it on, the lights were no longer blinking. It started to power up (but the screen was still black) and it powers on for about 7 seconds and then just dies.
Please help if you can, I cannot afford a new computer and hope there is a simple solution. Thank you so much - Nick

Hi, I still cant get the computer to turn on.
It powers on for 3 seconds, the screen never comes on.
The computer shuts off.
THANKS

Hi, I still cant get the computer to turn on.
The computer shuts off.
THANKS

Hi, I still can not get the computer to turn on.
The computer shuts off.
THANKS

1) HellRell. Stop spamming please. Posting more than once with the SAME thing in the post content is unacceptable... especially 3 times... in a row...

2) You said it worked for a moment after you reseated the RAM. This may suggest that there is a RAM failure. Try replacing your RAM. That's the simplest possible solution from what you've said here, that may work.

3) It sounds like you might have hit the typical DELL defect in well... just about everything... After about 2 years, the computer stops working and does something like that... I believe this is a dell conspiracy to get you to buy another one, however that might just be my opinion/superstition.

Okay, well all you need to do is say so...
I understand that there can be a submission error, although rare on most systems, it does happen.
I apologize for accusing you of spamming, I just have had to deal with all too much of it lately.

my dell 8500 we've had nothing but trouble with it right after warnty ran out.
first it was harddrive,then dvd/cd rw now the backscreen's gone
lol the thing is i still owe money on it and nothing is coverd by dell

Bad screen, or bad inverter, are the most likely causes... particularly if you can hear the hard drive booting up. It is only $150 to fix.... if inverter only, it is about $55. See if you can see the boot when plugged into an external desktop monitor.

thanks

thanks for the info ....we have had nothing but trouble with this laptop from day one.........the dvd/cd-rw went out then the hard drive now the screen and that was when we still owed like a 1000.00 on from dell
thats the worst piece of crap lattop ive ever seen

My cousin has an E1505 and has both a spare battery and spare power adapter to use to test and no combinations will work. Reseating the RAM is a good first attempt. If this doesn't work however, pull one RAM chip and then try again. If that doesn't work, put it back in and then pull the other. If it doesn't boot then it is not the RAM. A bad hard drive most likely would not cause this problem unless it was shorted and causing a great power drain. The same is true of the CD/DVD, which is highly unlikely. Therefore, the most likely cause is a bad motherboard. By the time Dell looks at it and replaces it, you might as well buy a new laptop.

Failures of motherboards in the E1505 are extremely rare, unless they have had strong lateral impact, or liquid damage thorugh the keyboard.
Dell laptops are extremely reliable, compared to Sony, Toshiba, and Compaq... but all laptops have worrisome failure rates.
Hard Drive is first suspect. Particularly if it is a Hitachi Travelstar. Second is memory... if one or the other module fails, it will not start. Try Rickochet's ideas to exchange modules. Third is dust, pet hair, and fiber in the CPU cooler fan or cooling channels. Fourth, when the screen goes black, is the inverter. Inverters are inexpensive to buy, but difficult to replace unless you have tech experience.
Power adapters, power adapter sockets, and power switches are fairly common causes of failure on some models. But always suspect small spills of coffee, soda, and other liquids.
Connect an external monitor to that plug on the back of the computer. If it lights up there, the problem is in the inverter or back light which is behind the screen on the bottom, and requires skill and knowledge to replace.

Also worth noting that these new cheaper laptops are not built to last forever. They have an expected lifespan. Especially as the motherboards are subjected to high number of flexing during transport and by board warpage caused by overheating. The newer cheaper laptop pcb motherboards are much more thinner and made more cheaply.

Reseating the RAM is a good first attempt.

Hi, I am hoping you guys(or gals)can offer some help.
My laptop is not even 2 years old (Dell Inspiron e1505)
I went to turn it on, and it would not start up.
Well it's 3 years old now!

Wouldn't it be funny if he replied back, "thanks I just tried that, but it didn't work, any more suggestions" :rolleyes:

Pretty sure he got it fixed though ;)
There's 4 good threads in the Guides and Tutorials forum, that probably should be looked at first. (granted some weren't there when this thread started though)

Laptop won't power on?
Tutorial: No POST (Power On Self Test
Tutorial: NO POST / Power General troublshooting
My laptop won't power up (solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back