Laptop wireless help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. Wondered if someone could help. I have to help my son get connected wirelessly to broadband. The only computer in their house is a wireless enabled laptop. I know this laptop works wirelessly as it's my old one! He has managed to install SKY Broadband to the laptop (wired) using a netgear router. But obviously does not want the laptop to be wired as his telephone socket is in the hall. There is already installed on the laptop a netgear adaptor programme and he has the usb adaptor. Do you think that it's possible to get the Key No. from Netgear (whilst wired) and then try and connect using that Key(WEP) whilst unwired? I know how to get they key by typing 192.168.0.1 into the browser. I'm just not sure if you have to have at least one 'wired' pc or laptop in the home.
My Brother-in-law has the same problem but with a pc instead of a laptop, in a bedroom with no telephone socket. Can a pc work wirelessly in the same way if it's the only pc in the home?

Thanks to anyone who can help.
Annie

Yes, he has a wireless router. But not to worry, I have just returned from his home after successfully getting the laptop on-line wirelessly. The router now sits in the hall and the laptop with the dongle attached can be taken into any room and connect to the net.
Thanks Didou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back