Laptop with XP home on it

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having a bit of a problem with a laptop. I sped up a laptop by deleting some programs, a P2P program, and I stopped quick time from starting it's process at bootup. No she tells me that when she hits the power button, the fan comes on, but nothing else happens. I'm going to be taking a look at it today, but i'd like to know if any1 else has any thoughts.

You likely deleted something in Windows critical to the operation of Windows. You would be wise to do a reformat and reinstall, but you probably have her lost data to deal with. So everything depends on whether you have a Windows disc that allows a "Repair" install... If your Windows is on a recovery disc or restore set you are in trouble.
If the data is valuable, you should think about acquiring an adapter that allows you to copy all the data over to another hard drive or flash drive or CD.

this is a short on time and money thing. I'm going to try and do a boot is safe mode. one more thing she just told me. when she tries to start it, it beeps at her. I'm thinking, either the ram, or the hard drive became displaced. I'm going to diagnose the ram first, then the hard drive, and finally the system restore if all else fails. unless, of course, anyone has any thoughts.

re the beep; BIOS can be set to beep after the POST, so this may be a red harring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back