laptop wont detect access point anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_newbie

I have a Belkin Wireless Access Point connected to a router. Recently, i switched it off from the mains for a week and when i switched it back on, it wouldnt power up. Anyway i changed the power adapter and got it working. The wireless network was up and running again.

But the next day, the laptop wouldnt detect the access point anymore when it scans for AP's, even though the PC clearly detects it.

So why wont the laptop find the AP? It did work after the power problem so i doubt the APs damaged, and the laptop detects several others in my area.

Note: i have tried reinstalling drivers, updating firmware, and resetting the AP, but no luck

Un-install your wireless network card through Device Manager, reboot and let Windows re-install it. Browse for wireless networks once re-installed.

Do you find it then? If not, let us know and we'll go from there.

Thanks for the reply.

I did what you said and reinstalled the device. But it still detects several access points except for the one connected to my router.

Any other suggestions???

Log into your router and see if your router is broadcasting it's SSID. If not, enable it.
Or you could manually type in the settings within your wireless network card. If you "View available wireless networks" and click on "Change advanced Settings", under the "Wireless Networks" tab there is an option to add a wireless network.

Type in the correct SSID and manually enter your WEP or WPA key (if running security). Try it this way and if that still doesn't work, I'd be thinking about factory resetting your router and trying again.

Good luck and post back with how you go :grinthumb

i couldnt find an SSID option in the router options.
The manual settings wouldnt work either, its as if theres no wireless signal from the access point.

Anyway ive sent it off for replacing, so will see if it works when i recieve the new one

Appreciate the help though!

Cool ...

For future reference; the SSID is the name given to your wireless network. You can broadcast it or keep it hidden. Keeping it hidden means you have to manually connect to it as suggested in my earlier post.

I hope it was a fault in the router, next time round you should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back