TechSpot

Laptop won't turn on

By Reynolds5523
Jul 17, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I have a old school IBM Thinkpad a laptop. Want to get working so my kids can use it. Son dropped it awhile ago and now it will not turn on. I know it could probably be a few things that is wrong with it, however hoping by the description I provide someone could narrow it down for me.

The laptop is getting power, the charging light indicator comes on when plugged in. When you push the power button all the lights flash once and you can hear the fan click like it wants to start but doesn't. Any ideas?
  2. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

Try removing the battery, and then powering it up without it installed, as it could be the battery.

In reality, the issue your experiencing could be a number of things, including a motherboard failure, or component failure due to being dropped.

Start small...

1. Remove the battery. Power up the laptop with the mains attached to see if the battery is the issue.
    2. Next remove the covers on the underside, and then remove, and then re-install the memory sticks. Try turning on again.
    3. Next, remove the hard disk completely, then try to power on
    4. Next remove any other drives (optical disc, floppy) and see if it boots.
    5. If none of that changes the problem, its likely either your mains lead is damaged and not providing enough voltage, or your motherboard (or the power side of the motherboard) has issues from having been dropped.
  3. Reynolds5523

Reynolds5523 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the reply, I have tried removing the battery, still wont turn on. I am thinking its the motherboard.
  4. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

Well the steps above in my mind once completed would make me consider the possibility of it being the same.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.